By Dominic Giannini, Online Sub-Editor
Starting tonight, there will be major changes to UNSW bus routes as Light Rail construction sees High Street closed to some traffic from 10pm.
With a work zone being established between Wansey Road and Avoca Street, there will be changes to the 891 Express to Central, as well as diversions affecting the 348, 370, 400, 410, 418 and M50 services, which will now have new stopping arrangements.
- Gate 9 bus stops will move to various locations around the Randwick area.
- The 891 Express to Central will now depart from a new stop at Gate 8, as well as the existing stop at Gate 3.
- The 891 Express to UNSW will now drop off at Gate 8 and Gate 3 only, on the UNSW-side of High St.
- High Street will be open to westbound general traffic only, between Clara Street and Wansey Road. There will be no eastbound traffic in this section.
Bus Stop Closures
The following bus stops will be closed:
- High Street near UNSW Gate 2
- High Street near Botany Street
- High Street near Gate 9 UNSW
- High Street near Wansey Road
- High Street near Prince of Wales Hospital
- High Street near Clara Street
- Randwick, High Street near Botany Street
New bus stops near UNSW and the hospitals precinct will be provided at:
- High Street near UNSW Gate 8
- Barker Street near UNSW Gate 14
- Arthur Street near Clara Street
- Avoca Street after Belmore Road
- Botany Street near High Street
The M50 will no longer stop near UNSW. Rather than travelling down Anzac Parade, it will take a new route through Avoca Street at the top of campus near the Children’s Hospital.
This new bus stop is about a 10-minute walk from campus.
More information can be found here.
UNSW is suggesting to allow more travel time to get to uni, however if current 891 lines and timetable problems are anything to go by, we suggest bringing a sleeping bag, snacks, something to watch movies on and bucket loads of patience.
It’s going to be a long few months.